In our 21st century globalizing world, linguistic and cultural competence broaden job opportunities. This short video says it all.
We know that:
- every month over 4,000 jobs are advertised in the DC area that require bilingual skills (research courtesy of by the Committee on Economic Development and the Conference Board)
- demand for bilingual employees doubled over the last 5 years and is growing faster than demand for jobs overall
- the District is home to 1000 global companies, 400 international organizations, 177 embassies and the federal government which increasingly requires bilingual skills
- bilingual employees are paid 5-20% more than their monolingual counterparts
- DC schools cannot yet meet community needs and workforce demands
- 67,000 jobs in DC alone are tied to international trade
- international tourists to DC who for the most part are speakers of languages other than English spend three times as much as domestic tourists contributing billions to the local economy
Yet, languages are still linked to privilege. We can change that!