The sad news is that DC Immersion is closing. The good news is that, together, we have built a network of support for equitable access to multilingual education in DC that transcends a specific organization. Thank you for advocating, learning, and celebrating along with us.
Read full statement here.
We are proud of what we accomplished over the last six years, but so much more needs to be done. We count on YOU to:
1. Continue informing communities and decision-makers about why this matters. Our website with all of its free-to-use resources will be up for a little bit longer.
2. Keep our elected officials accountable about:
- a real plan to support and expand high quality multilingual education
- developing more dual language programs – currently no additional programs are being publicly considered in DC Public Schools or in the charter sector
- meeting parental demand for dual language programs across the District
3. Keep abreast of all things dual language locally and nationally by following DC educators who are rocking dual language programs and national organizations that support multilingual education.
We look forward to seeing you knocking on doors in the halls of power, organizing in your schools, and supporting the educators in your life.
Thank you for advocating, learning and celebrating along with us,
DC Immersion Board of Directors and staff
Jimell Sanders, President and Co-Founder
Department of Defense
ElShadey Bekele, Secretary
Children’s National Medical Center
Kevin Clinton, Treasurer
Federal City Council
Executive Director and Co-Founder
Director of Teaching and Learning
Betsy C. Romero
Lee Montessori Public Charter School
Columbia Heights Educational Campus DCPS
Blakeney A. Vásquez
Director of Operations
P.S. Check out our Languages Change Lives multilingual playlist on Spotify! The playlist is collaborative, so feel free to add your favorite multilingual songs for others to enjoy!