Despite there being many national and international bodies conducting research on dual language immersion, very little research has focused on DC.
DC Immersion is in the process of partnering with highly regarded research institutes to conduct research in these areas:
- achievement of students in DC dual language programs
- demand for dual language programs in DC
- DC’s skills gap as it relates to linguistic and cultural competence skills
In a non DC-specific context, the effectiveness of dual language immersion is well documented in these areas:
– increased cognitive skills – mental flexibility and problem solving skills
– achievement in standardized tests – higher scores on verbal standardized test scores in English and in math
– sensitivity towards other cultures and appreciation for people from other countries one would otherwise not have the chance to know
– willingness and ability to learn a third language
– head start in language requirements for college, and
– increased job opportunities in many careers where knowing another language is a real asset – this is a global economy!